Harris Search Associates selected to lead the University of South Florida Zimmerman School of Advertising and Mass Communication Director search
The Zimmerman School of Advertising and Mass Communication at the University of South Florida (USF) http://masscom.usf.edu/ has selected Harris Search Associates to lead the search for its next Director.
A detailed profile will be available soon.
With USF receiving pre-eminent status, and with campus consolidation upon us, the Zimmerman School aspires to innovate in ways that traditional mass communications programs do not – and cannot.
Each day the school fields requests from companies and agencies, on and off campus, for help from our students to create advertising, run social media, film video promotions, cover live events, or research public relations plans. We have the students to make an enormous impact in Tampa Bay by providing these service-learning opportunities. Now, we need the facilities and faculty to help achieve that potential.
The School’s Vision and Focus
• World-class advertising education at the undergraduate level, led by the Zimmerman Advertising Program partnership with the Muma College of Business, which can be expanded and strengthened.
• Internationally renowned advertising research that leverages industry expertise and needs, with new MS in Advertising and interdisciplinary PhD to be proposed.
• Service to the Tampa Bay community from KnoBull (student PR agency), and student journalists (USFSP’s St. Pete Neighborhood New Bureau, NPR voices projects, the USF Digital Network with UCM, etc.) and other new student agencies/initiatives
• Student journalists and broadcasters who work seamlessly and professionally in the nation’s 13th largest media market, led by USFSP digital journalism program with close ties to Poynter Institute and Tampa Bay Times, one of nation’s 10 best regional newspapers. The faculties of the USFT and USFSP campuses already have met as a whole to map out consolidation of the two units and opportunities to enhance undergraduate instruction and faculty research.
• An integrated public relations-advertising program that focuses each course on service-learning by taking on campus and community clients each semester.
• The best and biggest internship program on the USF campus.
Attributes of the next director
The Zimmerman School seeks a director who is:
- A thought-leader in the emerging media landscape
- High-profile. Internationally recognized figure in either an academic mass communications field or in industry practice. (Some academic experience preferred for industry leaders.)
- A strategist who is also a tireless networker and coalition builder
- A strong and experienced administrator
- Innovative and Inspirational, an evangelist for change and outside-the-box thinking in industry and student curriculum
- Digitally oriented
The University of South Florida is a high-impact, global research university dedicated to student success. Serving over 49,000 students, the USF System has an annual budget of $1.6 billion and an annual economic impact of $4.4 billion. Located in beautiful Tampa Bay on Florida's spectacular west coast, it is one of the largest public universities in the nation, and among the top 50 universities, public or private, for federal research expenditures.
Harris Search Associates - an IIC Partners member firm, is a leading global executive search and board advisory consulting firm with 50 offices in 33 countries worldwide. Our practice is focused on identifying and attracting leaders to support the growth of clients in the areas of research, science, engineering, academic medicine and commercial enterprises. Clients include the foremost universities, research parks, institutes, academic medical centers, hospitals, and healthcare organizations driving global innovation and discovery.