Harris Search Associates to lead Michigan State University Executive Director of Admissions and Enrollment Strategy search
Michigan State University (MSU) has selected Harris Search Associates to lead the search to identify its next Executive Director of Admissions and Enrollment Strategy. The Executive Director of Admissions and Enrollment Strategy provides strategic and operational direction for the Office of Admissions, working closely with Michigan State University’s academic leadership team.
Michigan State University invites nominations and applications for the position of Executive Director of Admissions and Enrollment Strategy. This is a highly visible, dynamic, position interacting regularly with senior administration officials, faculty, professional staff, and outside constituents at an exciting time in the continued growth of the University.
Information including the detailed profile, admissions department org. chart, financial reports, enrollment report, and flat rate tuition report may be downloaded below:
MSU Executive Director Profile
Executive Director Admissions ad
Financial Administrators report
2018 Enrollment report
Office of Admissions Org. Chart
Flat Rate Tuition initiative
Addition information re Executive Director search
Reporting to Associate Provost for Academic Services, Enrollment Management, and Academic Initiatives, the Executive Director (ED) of Admissions and Enrollment Strategy provides strategic and operational direction for the Office of Admissions working closely with Michigan State University’s academic leadership team. The Executive Director provides leadership in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the undergraduate recruitment, application, admissions strategy, policy and operations for undergraduate programs at Michigan State University.
The ED will guide a next-generation enrollment strategy using advanced analytics and leading technologies to transform Michigan State into an industry-leader in admissions, recruitment, and student transitions. The ED is charged with building an enrollment strategy that accounts for the changing higher education landscape and demographics in the State of Michigan, and demonstrating a sustained commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The ED leads and manages the Office of Admissions (OA), including high school relations, transfer recruitment and services, international student admissions, campus visit programs, and office operations. The ED will also oversee OA’s operational support of application processing for graduate and professional programs, including the College of Human Medicine and the College of Law. Major responsibilities include demonstrating a sustained commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the development, design, and implementation of recruitment efforts to support the University’s goals for new undergraduate students.
The ED coordinates campus-wide recruitment efforts for entering freshmen and transfer students. The ED serves as a key partner in the student success initiatives, including the implementation of new student-focused technologies, and a modernized enterprise Student Information System (SIS). The preferred candidate will have the following credentials:
- A Master’s degree is required.
- At least 5 years of experience in a college or university admissions office with a nationwide and global recruiting footprint, with at least 3 years of experience at either the assistant director or director level, is required;
- A record of successful outcomes in the development and achievement of enrollment goals or commensurate experience;
- A record of successfully establishing and growing prospective student markets, including in-state, out-of-state, and international segments;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Demonstrated evidence of building successful teams and working collaboratively with other leaders.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong management skills in hiring, supervising, and creating opportunities for professional development;
- The ability to work with campus stakeholders to appropriately align recruitment and enrollment strategies with needs of academic and support units;
- The ability to understand and use data to drive planning and decision-making;
- Strong verbal and written communications skills;
- Demonstrated success developing relationships with college and university administrators and high school personnel;
- The ability to understand complex student information systems, CRM systems (TargetX and Salesforce preferred), and to use those systems effectively in a management capacity are required;
- Understanding of student success predictors utilized in admissions decisions.
Founded in 1855, Michigan State University (msu.edu) has always been an innovator in research, teaching, and application of knowledge. In 1863, Michigan State was designated the beneficiary of the Morrill Land-Grant Colleges Act endowment, becoming the pioneer land-grant college in the United States and serving as a prototype for future institutions. From these origins, Michigan State has evolved into a comprehensive, global, world-class university with a full spectrum of programs and attracting a diverse set of gifted professors, staff members, and students. The University has been an elected member of the Association of American Universities since 1964. Michigan State enrolls approximately 51,000 students, including 11,300 graduate and professional College students, and it employs more than 11,600 faculty and staff members. The University offers more than 200 programs of study at the bachelor, masters and doctoral levels.
Harris Search Associates - an IIC Partners member firm, is a leading global executive search and board advisory consulting firm with 50 offices in 33 countries worldwide. Our practice is focused on identifying and attracting leaders to support the growth of clients in the areas of research, science, engineering, academic medicine, and healthcare enterprises. Clients include the foremost universities, research parks, institutes, academic medical centers and commercial organizations driving global innovation and discovery.
A detailed profile will be available for review soon.